Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Travel tip we picked up from a friend

This weekend we visited with some friends that frequent ST Maarten too. In fact his brother owns Halsey’s a very good restaurant in the Simpson Bay area. We met them for dinner and drinks. While talking about the island we moved to “who do you use to book your airfare”. He shared that he built his own profile for flights to SXM via Chicago. I told him that Chicago O’Hare is one of my least favorite airports. Actually it is not so much the airport but rather where the city is located and the time of year that we travel.

We normally head to the islands as you may have read….in April/May or November. Both being months in the midst of seasonal changes in that part of the country…can end up with pretty ugly weather from wind ( it is the windy city you know) to big thunderstorms and even that ugly snow and ice. Ok have digressed enough.

My friend John shared that they use Travelocity and via their profile have set price points and get email when the fares drop to or below those points. So guess what Rob did then next morning…yup you guessed it. Logged on and went directly to Travelocity.com to set up our profile. I set up three…woo hoo. KC to SXM Chicago to SXM and my favorite, Dallas to SXM. We can get to both big D and the windy city pretty cheaply so I set all three up. Sure enough this morning Travelocity sent me an email alert. Fares from Chicago at $269 + taxes. Much better than I have ever gotten them. We have been to the island several times and never for less than $600 and that was without the expense of room in NYC or Charlotte for an overnight layover.

Ok, so I wont pull the trigger today, but here is to hoping that with fare price fluctuation I hit it again on a day in which it makes it worth my while.

No comments: