Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Rob plays the bonus round and WINS!!!

Wow, I just noticed that I have been absent from posting for quite some time...if there are readers out there sorry....

Met with a friend for coffee Saturday morning to cuss and discuss life in general as well as a bit more specific trips to the islands. We became friends several years ago and found that we both have a terminal case of DIF. What is DIF? Dreaded Island fever and the kind we both have is quite terminal. It possesses our very thoughts. We are both budding entrepeneurs and yes both businesses are based arount the Caribbean.

During our discussion he brought up our impending trip. Easy conversation fro Rob for sure but he threw a giant monkey wrench into the works….he said something like Hey, did you see that Jimmy Buffett is giving a free concert to celebrate the 60th anniversary of Le Select in Gustavia, ST Bartholomew French West Indies. My response was no but my interest certainly was piqued. Rob is a closet Parrot Head….that would be Jimmy Buffett fan to any non parrot head. I load up on island music about 30 days before my trip and honestly JB is, wait…have to get out my Ipod, ok he is playing now….the most prolific musician that plays ESCAPE music and I love it!!! Ok, tangent complete for now so back to the conversation.

Buddy asked if I was going, I said would love to but not so sure my wife would be into it.
He said if he and his wife were going to be on island they would move heaven and earth to go. I went home and asked what she thought and her response surprised me, she was in!!! Didn’t really do much about it. Looked into travel from ST Maarten to ST Barts but frankly didn’t see this happening so kind of left the idea beached like a smugglers boat after a storm.

Monday on my way to work I got a text message…same buddy…Hey we booked to be on island, still wanna see the JB concert? There is a one word reply….DUDE!!!!
We talked a bit and next thing I know I am calling the couple that has been planning on traveling with us the entire time and they want in as well. JB boat to Bart’s for 6!!

Before lunch on Tuesday we have acquired passage for 6 from SXM to Barts….look out Jimmy here we come. For many this seems an awful lot to do to see this guy. JB will as I said above be playing in Gustavia….to celebrate La Select’s birthday. Significance is this is the little restaurant that was the catalyst for the song Cheeseburger in Paradise. So for a parrot head…we will be in what equals out to be the escapist’s Mecca. I never in my life thought I would have an opportunity like this.

Our diversion to ST Barts is truly an opportunity that someone like me doesn’t pass up when presented to you all wrapped up in a pretty little package. My wife asked about the cost….response was concert is free, trip over and back is $95 each plus…she then chimed in…your souvenir. To which I answered emphatically Yes Ma’am!!!

Now you may see why Rob sees this little piece of incredibly convenient timing as playing and winning the bonus round. We were to be in ST Maarten anyway and now I get to see the master of escape music perform in the place that may have provided the inspiration for the song that gave him his big break………Look out Gustavia you will be inundated with a flock of parrot heads that will bring a voracious appetite for beer, rum and that infamous Cheeseburger in Paradise.

No comments: