Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Listening to the Travel Savvy WIfe

My wonderful wife and I were sitting together Sunday afternoon discussing….guess….yes it’s a tuff one. Give up? Yup, you got it first guess, our impending visit back to the island. We were discussing getting to the airport. Do we take an airport limo service, do we impose on a family member? We were looking up the pricing of an airport limo (big van) and she asked a great question. Does KC have a park, sleep, fly arrangement like many other large cities?

Surfed the net and low and behold, yes it does and the relative cost beats….limo service as well as the imposition of bothering a relative to get up that early.

Why is all of this necessary? Our flight from KC leaves at 5:30 in the AM. We live 45 minutes south of the airport and we are flying international meaning we would beat every chicken and rooster in the area out of our beds that morning and would be driving to the airport about the time all of the drunks are coming home from the bars.

My wife’s offered solution is awesome and frankly I am a bit embarrassed I didn’t think of it myself. Math works like this….14 days parking at airport (using the outer parking lot) would be $84. Then there is leaving home at probably 3AM to get there, get parked and to the gate early enough to check in go thru security and catch the Oh Dark:30 flight to Charlotte.

Another side journey here is if we stayed home the night before it would most likely be 11 PM or later before we headed off to bed with all of our pre trip activities like watering the plants and making sure everything is just perfect before we went to sleep.

So, we have agreed to leave shortly after my dear sweet wife gets home from work to drive to the hotel close to the airport. We will bring a bottle of wine, some chocolate and cheese and start our vacation that evening before the flight instead of in a rush the next morning. Cost $125 including the room, parking and shuttle to airport. So my math tells me for $41 I can rest close to the airport in a Sheraton hotel, car already parked. Enjoy the company of my wife without all the night before racing around and get at least 2 extra hours sleep.

After all that …the best I can say is GREAT IDEA HONEY, glad I listened this time..

No comments: