Thursday, August 19, 2010

Who Knew?

Who knew that taking out the trash can be hazardous to your health? I sure didn’t think much of it as I walked out into my garage a week ago and bent over to pick up the bag and take it to the curb. Guess what…I found out right away. No pop or anything like that. I simply felt a sharp sting go down the side of my right leg, then the back spasms set in. I was down for the count! Thursday laid on the floor with a heat pack all afternoon. Went to work on Friday walking like an 85 year old with a bum hip, the only thing I was missing at this point was a walker. Made it to the doctor Friday afternoon.

He filled my hip full of cordozone and another steroid and prescribed a muscle relaxer and sent me home. Repeat Thursday afternoon lying on floor in pain. Sat came and still more pain….took meds but they did very little good. Sunday morning I rolled out of bed and told my wife as soon as I was done with a shower it was time to head to the emergency room, I have never felt my back hurt like this before.

The ER really fixed me up…I left there feeling NO pain. More Steroid and a bit of morphine for the pain along with a new muscle relaxer and an awesome painkiller. First time in several days I had felt at all decent.

I’ll save you most of the rest of the minute by minute cause I did a lot of sleeping and my intent is not to bore you any more than I have. Today is Day 8 and the spasms are most of the way gone but the nerve still tingles down into my leg pretty heavily. I am supposed to continue stretching and cut back on the meds for the next couple of weeks along with some physical therapy.

My biggest concern is there may be a bulging disc or something else that will lead to surgery…..Here is the biggest worry for me. We have 71 days until we load ourselves into a big metal can and fly to the Caribbean. I cant have this still going on while I am trying to get there. I will be going to PT, doing y stretching, cutting out the pain meds and everything else I can and or need to do to get better to include…the obvious dropping of a few lbs along the line.

Learning for the day, if I don’t stay fit, I will end up in a lot of pain by doing something as simple as taking out the trash…by the way I did take it to the curb today with no impact to my back. At this point I have been 21 hours with no painkillers in my system though I am sore enough that they sure would be nice to take they just aren’t necessary at this point.

No comments: