Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Oh, what a difference a good camera makes

For those of you that have followed my little odyssey thru this blog, you know I got my hands on a D-SLR camera for our trip to Anguilla and ST Maarten. I went from a little point and shoot Sony 3.2MP to a 10.1MP Canon with the standard lens as well as a 55-300mm zoom. On previous trips I have shot somewhere around 300 pix. This time, with the assistance of the burst mode I shot over 2,000 pix. Yes I do have a goal and purpose for shooting 30 pix of the same sunset but that is the fun of digital.

The good,
Quality of pix with 10.1 mp wow!
Bust mode, very nice make sure I can capture a shot
Obvious ability of being able to change lenses
Used a small portable tripod for night shots

The bad,
As good as the shots could be with the 55mm lens they were difficult with the 300mm lens. Too big and hard to steady. Burst shooting helped a lot. Was able to get several good shots but lots were out of focus because of movement.

Lack of large tripod, when using large lens the small tripod could not handle the weight and would move.

The ugly,
Rob hadn’t used more than a point and shoot in years so was a bit rusty working with aperture and exposure times.

The constant cleaning of lenses and filters….we were around sea air.

I have posted some pix from Anguilla and ST Maarten on my website. www.axarob.com

Comparison of shots from previous years….wow much better quality.

No comments: