Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Did I wait just a bit too long?

This morning I did my usual perusal of prices on flights from Kansas City to ST Maarten.
We are going! It will be in early November now here is the rum, er rub!! Last week I priced airfare and found the perfect flight…and price for us. KC to Dallas, overnight and see some friends and then next morning Dallas to SXM. Return would all be in one day. Price for 2..rt with taxes $1200. This week, price of gas is up 18 cents a gallon cause it is driving season again. Same flight, $1350. I am experienced enough to know that the prices will fluctuate and will wait a couple more weeks to monitor but I am now ready to make that purchase.

On a more fun note, I am now exploring new products to add to my hopefully soon to be published website. At this point I have photos and some logo wear but my stock is growing. Hope to have a few products other than just photos. More on this one to come in later blogs....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rob,
I enjoy your posts. You remind me of myself....45 y/o, from the cornfields of Illinois, and always looking for an excuse to travel to the Caribbean.
My wife and I just returned from SXM, with a two-day excursion (our first) to Anguilla. I totally agree with your comment advising people to get to know the residents of the islands; they are so friendly and accomodating, and a lifetime friendship may result. We have made exactly that experience. 5 years ago, we met an incredible St. Maarten woman through a business deal, and continued the friendship via email and phone calls. Since then, we have been to stay in her home on SXM 3 times, and she has been our guest in Illinois for 3 weeks as well. Through an odd twist of fate, she donated one of her kidneys to the Chief Minister of Anguilla, Osbourne Fleming, who happens to be her second cousin. On this trip, she wanted to take us to Anguilla to meet him. The resulting experience was surreal. We were picked up at Blowing Point by the Minister in his own car, and driven to his East End residence, where we were his overnight guests. He treated us to an incredible dinner at Cuisinart resort, and we traveled the island in a rental car he provided us with. Tues., 6/2, we attended Anguilla Day, with it's traditional British parade. Then on to Shoal Bay and Elodias Resort/ bar and grille. There we were introduced to the owners and their adorable children. All afternoon we enjoyed the absolutely incredible beach, and the delightful company of various locals who frequent the place. Becoming immersed in the culture, and trading knowledge with those of completely different background are some of the most rewarding aspects of travel, and indeed, life itself.
All too soon, we caught the ferry back to SXM, where we spent the rest of the week enjoying Friar's Bay Beach, Anse Marcel, and the company of our hostess. I must say, I much prefer Anguilla to SXM, not only for it's whiter sand and more emerald waters, but mostly for it's quiet, sleepy feel, and lack of SXM's chaotic bustle.
Oh, I am also a budding amateur photographer. I took many photos with my Canon 20D on this trip. I was not overly pleased with the way many of them turned out; I know it's not the camera's fault, but lots of the beach photos seem to be washed out, plus I didn't discover my sensor was dirty until I found spots on my photos when I got the chance to download and view them. Any advice on settings for beach photos, and any favorite subjects to shoot on SXM/AXA?

All the Best,

Jeff