Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Trial and Error

I am working on finding a low cost distributor for some of my photo products. I placed an order in late December for a couple of samples. They arrived yesterday. Rob was pretty excited as these are some small items that I am looking to produce to go along with my photo-art. Something a tourist would pick up while in gift shops as a memento of the island. I picked some simple and useful stuff then provided my pictures and waited….news came on Sunday that the package had been received at my son’s residence. He said he would bring it to me on Monday evening so I came home from work top change and then had a short business meeting with a vendor that I hired to tweak a few pictures. I left that meeting very happy with the end results. Went home and my son was soon there with my package from China. I tore into it like a three year old at Christmas…all you saw was flying paper and moving elbows…with the removal of each item I felt worse and worse. Fortunately these were one off items so I didn’t have to buy 2500 of each but if this is what they have to offer, I wont be doing business overseas for products. So this trial brought error but at least it was at a very small level so I don’t feel that I am out a bunch of cash or stuck with junk I cant move.

No one really hurt but just a bit let down. People tell me that I will need to work with manufacturers in China to make any money. From my first experience, I would rather work with those in the US and not make as much. I want the best quality I can get for merchandise or there is no point in me making an effort. I have a feeler out with a company I use to make one of my other products. We shall see how this goes.

No comments: